Monday, December 2, 2013

Walk By Faith Not By Sight

Isaiah 7:14(NIV)
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.


I began to ponder this morning how the virgin Mary must have felt to have been chosen by God to bring forth his son. She would have know this passage in Isaiah and I can't imagine her reaction when the angel Gabriel appeared to her and proclaimed:
Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. (Luke 1:30-32a)
Mary must have had a solid faith, one that wasn't easily shaken, for later she replies to the angel:
"I am the Lord's servant"(Luke1:38). 

I tried to imagine the initial thoughts that swirled through the mind of Mary.  Here she is, a young women, most likely near in age to 17, young, engaged, a virgin, and now pregnant.  How would she explain to her parents, to her future husband that she was pregnant, by God's Holy Spirit?  That it what I would be thinking.  Then I thought a little deeper.  Her answer "I am the Lord's servant," brings to mind her character.  Her character uniqueness and her complete faith in the Lord.  She was living by faith not by sight.  She couldn't see the end game, but she trusted that God had it covered. 

God, in his infinite wisdom, has wired each of in specific ways that suits the specific tasks for which we are called.  These character traits vary from individual to individual and in addition,  Christ followers have spiritual gifts that are given to us personally by God for his specific purposes.  Mary and Joseph were called by God to raise his Son. Raising God's Son...that is a big calling requiring a strength in faith, reliance on God for the details, and trust that He would lead and support them along the way.  God created them to be uniquely suited for the task of raising Jesus.  Calling upon two unlikely young people, from an unknown town, to be a part of God's redemption plan for the world.  Wow! Imagine if that had happened to you, what would your immediate reaction be? I think I would more likely say-who me? You got to be kidding? As a follower of Christ, I often have the initial freak out phase in a new calling, but then I lift it up in prayer and God calms me, my faith muscles kick in. For I am called to walk by faith, not  sight. (2 Cor. 5:7) 

What are your character traits? Can you see how you were created uniquely by God? Will you thank him today? I am so grateful for my uniqueness in Christ.  I may be a little quirky, but it suits me and the tasks for which God calls me.  I have also seen God develop my spiritual gifts over time, calling me to use them for his glory.  Living my life with Christ at the center is always an adventure, one that takes me in some directions I would have never been able to do with out his guiding influence on my life. But I have to be willing to walk by faith and not by sight. Are you willing?

No comments:

Post a Comment