Friday, December 13, 2013

Living Water

Jesus says:
“…whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:17)

“Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”(John 7:37-38)



I have noticed with this cold weather that I am feeling a little dehydrated.  I wouldn’t have thought that was possible since I am so bundled up when I am outside and inside. I am definitely not sweating as I go about my day.  But I have been busy, ignoring my body’s signals that it is thirsty, needing replenishment and refreshment. That would explain why I am a little more tired this morning.  I am not nurturing my body, giving it the care and attention it needs.

When was the last time you paused and asked yourself: Am I taking care of myself or am I running myself ragged, ignoring the clues my body is giving me to slow down? Will you pause a minute and do a little self evaluation?……what did you discover? How are you truly feeling?

Water, we all need it to survive, to keep our organs functioning.  When we become dehydrated, we become tired, our bodies begin slowing down, we get headaches, fuzzy thinking, cranky, our blood pressure can even drop.  Serious dehydration will cause our bodily systems to fail, organs can shut down.  Not a vibrant picture of life.  Jesus provides a different kind of water. A life giving stream of water which replenishes us spiritually and mentally.  One which provides eternal life in him. But to receive that water, we need to realize our need for him and turn to him.  He will refresh you.

For me, a life without Jesus at the center is dull, draining, and dry.  A life depleted and without focus.  I need his life sustaining water each and every day.  It brings a glow to my face, a joy that overflows through out my day.  Literally a joy which bubbles out of me. That’s his river of life flowing through me and out into the world.  That’s where I want to be.   That's what gives me purpose. Paul put it best, For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21)

Would you be willing to take the time to refresh your body and soul? To sit down and pause this morning, open up a bible and read a short passage.  How about the passage from John where Jesus is at the well speaking to a Samaritan woman, John 4:1-26.  Jesus truly sees her, sees deep within her soul, knows exactly what she needs which is his life giving water. Won’t you sit with Jesus today and let him refresh your soul. Ask him to fill you with his life sustaining water today.

No comments:

Post a Comment