Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Prayer

John 17:9, 20-21(NIV)
“I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.”
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”



I was floored the other day when I read this passage.  I have read John before, but for whatever reason didn’t fully grasp the words.  Jesus prays for us, for you and me. He prays for those who have accepted him as Lord, and for those who do not yet know him. He prays for future believers, those who will believe when I step out and share his message.  Wow! He’s praying for you and me right now. 

As I continued to read John 17, I was struck by what Jesus was praying. He is praying for our protection, our unity in Christ, our joy and sanctification, and that we would see His glory.  Huge prayers for us, laid before God the Father, out of Jesus’ deep love and compassion for you and me. Jesus prays specific and concrete prayers for our spiritual growth and transformation.

Jesus prays for believers as we share his message of mercy, love and forgiveness.   He prays that those who hear his message through us would come to see him and accept him as Lord. What a wonderful Lord we have, to know that as I go about my day he is praying for me, giving me opportunities to share his love with others. I pray I see and take advantage of those God given moments. 

Let me touch back on the joy. Jesus uses the words “that they may have the full measure of my joy within them” The joy of Christ in our hearts, delivered to us by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit when we become believers.  A joy that brings peace and freedom to our souls.  I carry that kind of joy with me each and every day.  That inner joy gets me through the days that seem to tough to overcome. It’s a joy I sometimes have difficulty putting into words or even explaining to others. But it’s a joy I can feel within me, lightening my day, helping me to see glimpses of God’s goodness. It’s this joy that gives me the opportunity to share his love with those I encounter on a daily basis.

The glory of God at revealed in the prayers of Jesus. Beautiful!

Have you experienced the full measure of joy that comes from Jesus? To do that, you need to open up yourself to his love, allowing him in to do some healing and restoration.  Imagine what life could be like if you did.  Take a fresh look at John 17, reading Jesus’ words carefully, I pray you will see him and his love for you in a new and glorious way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment