Monday, December 9, 2013

Adoration

Psalm 103:1-5(NLT)
Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle’s!

On my way to church yesterday I heard the song For He Alone is Worthy and I was struck by the lines that focus on adoration. The song repeats the line O come, let us adore Him three times before proclaiming Christ as Lord.  3 times. Those old hymns have so much to teach us.  This particular hymn is simple and beautiful, focusing on God as worthy of all our adoration and all glory belongs to him and him alone.  A beautiful cadence that was music to my ears and I have no doubt music to God’s ears as well.

What does it mean to adore?  The New Oxford Dictionary defines adore as: to love and respect (someone) deeply,  worship, or venerate. I can honestly say I adore my husband, I love and respect him but I can’t say I “worship” him. I see worship as something holy, special, sacred, reserved for a holy God.  So if adoration encompasses worshiping God, I wonder if I can improve the way I adore Him.

The Christmas season is so busy and in the world, God has been pushed out of Christmas.  This blog is one of my acts of worship, of adoration toward God and what he is doing in my life. It is also an act of obedience to what God has called me to do.  A chance to reflect on some scripture that God has placed on my heart each day, but also a chance for you to take a moment to adore God in your busyness.

When I was searching for a scripture that would encompass adoration of God, there were many, but God placed the one above on my heart.  I believe he is desires me to worship him more fully. One that involves all of me.  What does it mean to adore God which my entire being? That is the question that stands out for me from this passage.  My morning worship time has been the same for the past few years. I always begin my mornings with a cup of coffee, my bible and my journal.  I begin my refection by focusing on God-worshiping him for who he is.  Then I confess any sins I am aware of and ask God’s forgiveness of them.  Then I take some time to thank him for his faithfulness before I open scripture and take the time to mediate upon His Word.  Frequently this involves a little more journaling as God always seems to have something to teach me.  I then take a few moments to pray for the needs that weigh on my heart.  

That is when it hit me, the all of me that God is missing. You’ll notice I noted I take a few moments to pray, that’s when it hit me.  God desires more than a few moments of prayer.  I am called to pray without ceasing.(1 Thessalonians 5:17)  I have taken a light hearted approach to prayer.  Prayer is also an act of adoration, of continual conversation with God that recognizes our need for him in our lives.  That we can’t go it alone, we weren’t designed to go it alone. By worshipping through out our day, we make better choices, can live more joyfully and declare God as King in our lives.  


Will you take time to worship God today by reading all of Psalm 103Meditate upon the words through out your day, pray them back to God and hide them in your heart as your spiritual act of worship today.

No comments:

Post a Comment