Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Second Sunday of Advent

Colossians 3:16-17 (NLT)
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.

Sunday, a day for Christians to attend church.  A Sabbath day of rest, meant as a day for reconnecting with God and family.  A day to worship him by meditating upon his Word, sharing what we have learned, to give thanks for his presence and his faithfulness in our lives. 

For many of us during the Christmas season, Sunday has become a day to get the holiday shopping done, fighting the traffic and the crowds at the malls, a day that depletes rather than replenishes. We then move into the work week depleted, exhausted, and cranky.  Not exactly the thankful spirit that God desires.  

Maybe it is time for a change.  Maybe it’s time to recalibrate and take a day of rest.  I know what you’re thinking,  “How can I do that when there is too much preparation to be done before Christmas?”  I understand, I am now looking at 3 boxes of Christmas decorations that still haven’t been unpacked and put out.  I have month end accounting work to get done for my business, year end preparation for tax season, and I have the grocery shopping to complete before the boys come home from college for the holidays.  But you know what, how better to accomplish all those things if I first take some time to spend with God.  Not just my usual 15 minutes reading my bible, but an extended time reading and meditating upon his Word.  A time of prayer and devotion, giving thanks for his faithfulness in my life. 

By refilling spiritually, I can have a better view of what truly needs to be accomplished.  I can do the “to do list” with a new found joy and thankfulness for God’s faithfulness in my life.  I have no doubt, I will feel more at peace this week and my focus will be on the things that are truly important. Will you join me in a day of rest?


I hope you have been blessed by the first weeks devotions, I have been simply amazed at how God is working in my heart.  I have seen his faithfulness first hand as he has given me topics and scripture to share with you. I pray that you are getting to know him better as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment